Monday, May 20, 2013

Thou art more lovely and more temperate

I commuted by bicycle today, and the total distance for May is now 259 km. It took 40 minutes to get to work, and 48 minutes to get back home, despite having headwind in the morning and tailwind in the afternoon. I guess one is more tired after work.

Here are photographs taken last week on a hill nearby home. It was late in the evening and the sun was low on the horizon. Blueberry flowers are fascinating, or how do you feel?

A camera store here in Finland is selling older Olympus micro 4/3 cameras on discount this week, for example Olympus Pen E-PM1 + 14-42 II R Kit sells for 199 euro. But still, after thinking about this for a while I feel that I have grown into using the Panasonic LX3/LX5 family of cameras, and nothing really compares.

(Posting title is from Sonnet XVIII: Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day? by William Shakespeare.)

4 comments:

David said...

I am using an E-PM1 as my carry around camera after struggling with a Panasonic GF1 for a couple of years.
I didn't like the colour rendition on the GF1 - too cool blue/magenta for my taste.

I have a wonderfully sharp 45mm f1.8 lens for the E-PM1

However, I used the 14-42mm kit lens for a trip to Brussels last week - and it's not a bad lens.

I used to shoot with an LX3 and it was only because I wanted to be able to print larger that I went for micro 4/3.

Juha Haataja said...

David, "Olympus color" is sometimes mentioned as praise, and a camera with wrong kind of color rendition surely is not pleasant to use. With the LX3 I struggled in the beginning to find the right settings but with later firmware updates it performed very well indeed.

David said...

Interesting about the LX3 firmware and the colour rendition.

I guess it's the same for the LX5?

Do you know what the colour rendition on the LX7 is like?

Juha Haataja said...

David, I have been using the nostalgic film mode on the LX5 (and on the LX3 before that), and I wrote some words about it (see also here), comparing the RAW workflow with my jpeg settings.

I would expect the same settings would apply to the LX7. As with the LX5 (and with the LX3), I don't like the default settings, the green is rather unrealistic (oversaturated), but using the nostalgic film mode and tweaking it a bit works well for me.