Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A camera for children


Ice crystals, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Frost, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Some time ago I speculated whether I should offer my old Canon Digital Ixus 400 to the children for doing photography. Today they tried it out in the evening, shooting 180 photos in an hour. And then they selected the 60 best and edited some of them in iPhoto.

Some of the photos were quite creative, perhaps better than I have been able to do. I didn't need to help much, everything worked as it is supposed to. Perhaps the children have watched me so much that they already know what to do. Or the Ixus and iPhoto just are easy to use.

About the two photos shown here... This morning reminded me of something which I had forgotten: the beauty of ice and show. Even though the autumn is getting darker all the time, there is the promise of light when snow and ice appear. But until then, it is gray, dark and wet.

2 comments:

bob wong said...

wow you're further north and colder than I am. Kind of looking forward to winter.

In reading some of your text I notice that you have shyed away from DSLR's, haven't come across the reason yet.

Juha Haataja said...

Well, I have a Minolta XG-1 from the 1980s, which I used quite a lot. These days, I don't want to carry an anvil around my neck. I like to take long walks (several hours preferably) with the children, and there is scant possibility of carrying a DSLR on such excursions. The LX3 is just the right size to keep in the breast pocket of my jacket.