Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Last bright autumn leaves


Green on red, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

This photo here was a bit of a surprise when viewed on the screen, but I should have anticipated the strong contrast between red and green. There is still a liitle bit of autumn colors left outside, although most leaves have fallen and are turning brown.

One of the LX3 mysteries which I have been pondering was revealed to me today - the way how sometimes the color balance seems to flip, and the photos will have a "flat" or "washed" look instead of strong colors.

Today I understood that this was due to using i.exposure which tries to compensate when the image has extremely large contrast. Sometimes you get two completely different-looking photos within seconds, due to small changes in brightness which triggers the i.exposure mode on. (It is not always on but only when needed.) So, the solution is either to live with it or turn it off. I'm not sure which way I'll go.

No comments: