Monday, October 20, 2008

What focal length are you using with the LX3?


Laajalahti morning, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I thought that I have been taking most of my LX3 photos using 24 mm, but I was not sure of what is the exact percentage. So, I did some Google searches, and found a tool to get the EXIF information from jpeg files on Mac OS X. Here is the result:

1 images / Focal Length: 5.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 35.1 mm)
1 images / Focal Length: 8.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 53.0 mm)
1 images / Focal Length: 9.4 mm (35 mm equivalent: 56.6 mm)
2 images / Focal Length: 7.7 mm (35 mm equivalent: 46.8 mm)
5 images / Focal Length: 12.1 mm (35 mm equivalent: 57.0 mm)
8 images / Focal Length: 11.1 mm (35 mm equivalent: 52.0 mm)
8 images / Focal Length: 5.4 mm (35 mm equivalent: 26.0 mm)
9 images / Focal Length: 6.3 mm (35 mm equivalent: 30.0 mm)
10 images / Focal Length: 6.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 32.0 mm)
11 images / Focal Length: 5.9 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28.0 mm)
16 images / Focal Length: 8.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 41.0 mm)
17 images / Focal Length: 9.3 mm (35 mm equivalent: 44.0 mm)
19 images / Focal Length: 10.2 mm (35 mm equivalent: 48.0 mm)
23 images / Focal Length: 7.9 mm (35 mm equivalent: 37.0 mm)
31 images / Focal Length: 7.4 mm (35 mm equivalent: 35.0 mm)
121 images / Focal Length: 12.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 60.0 mm)
1266 images / Focal Length: 5.1 mm (35 mm equivalent: 24.0 mm)
So, over 80% were taken at 24 mm, and less that 10% at 60 mm. (I have taken over 7300 photos, but kept only a fraction of them.)

For those who have a Mac and know unix, here are a few hints how to get this statistics.

I installed the exiftool program, which works on the command line, and did some command line work in the iPhoto folder library. Files with names of the form P10*.JPG were taken with the LX3. (Fortunately Canon has a different naming scheme.)

Here is a one-line command to gather the statistics on Mac OS X:
exiftool P10*.JPG | grep Focal | grep equivalent | sort | uniq -c | sort
This did the trick although it is not pretty. (Actually, I used a bit more involved version of the command using "find", but if the files are in one directory, there is no need for it.)

Addendum: It may be better to use a command line of the form
exiftool P???????.JPG | grep "Focal Length In 35mm Format" > DATA
After this, proceed as above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi interesting comparison. I used a similar tool for Windows called ExposurePlot when I wanted to find out if I would miss the long telephoto zoom on the LX3, it turned out I wouldn't as only a small percentage of my shots were taken above 60mm.

One thing about your findings though. I'm a bit confused about these two lines, and there 35mm equivalent:

1 images / Focal Length: 5.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 35.1 mm)

11 images / Focal Length: 5.9 mm (35 mm equivalent: 28.0 mm)


How come that 5.9mm has a smaller 35mm equivalent than 5.8mm?

Juha Haataja said...

Some of these files were edited with outside programs, such as PSE, which seem to have corrupted the EXIF data to some degree.

I noticed that a few files (half a dozen) had problems with the EXIF information (focal length up to 480 mm!), and removed those, but it seems that at least one error remained in the data I published. But in the statistics this should not matter.

(T)imothep said...

Hi, I can see that you host your pictures on Flickr.

A friend of mine developed a pretty neat online tool to get some statistics about the pictures you set on it. You can find it here.

The login to use is the one displayed in your profile, not the one in the adress pointing to your pictures (ex: "(T)imothep" for me).

I hope it helps!

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks, seems like on interesting tool for Flickr users.