Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Night approaching


Framed, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I have developed a sort of workflow with the LX3 camera, mainly including the logistics of batteries and memory cards.

When I have a fully charged battery and an emptied memory card, I don't usually bother to take replacements. However, when taking photos I have a couple of times run out of space on a 2 GB card - it fits approximately 420 images in jpeg format. So, when going for a longer trip I now usually take a second 2 GB card.

As the battery charge usually lasts for over 600 photos, that hasn't so far been a problem, and although the charge indicator is not very exact, I can take 200 photos with 1/3 full battery, which is quite a lot. So I'm only taking a spare battery when I have used most of the juice in the current one.

At first I transferred the photos to my iMac over the usb cable, but now I'm using a multifunction memory card reader. It is a cheap 150x "usb stick" type reader ordered from Dealextreme.com, but it has been working well and fast enough, faster than over the usb cable from camera.

I know that some photographers format the memory cards after each use, but I'm not doing that, just using iPhoto to empty the card after reading in the files. This has so far never given any problems.

I experimented a bit with RAW files, but the benefit from using Silkypix seemed to be almost nonexistent, so now I'm happy to shoot in jpeg. But this may change if additional software (PSE, iPhoto) starts to support the LX3 in RAW. In any case, when I'm shooting 200 photos per day, I don't have much interest in complicated workflows with RAW files. I'm much happier shooting jpeg trying multiple exposures, which is not difficult as the camera is quite fast in operation.

The photo shown here was taken today using 60 mm equiv. on the LX3. For me a rare use of the tele end of the lens.

No comments: